Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden  

ZETTELS KLEINES ZIMMER

Das Forum zu "Zettels Raum"

Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 2 Antworten
und wurde 209 mal aufgerufen
 Kommentare/Diskussionen zu "Zettels Raum"
Ulrich Elkmann Online

18.09.2022 21:40
G. K. Chesterton, "Über öffentliche Aufbahrung" (1936) Antworten

"Les hommes seront toujours fous; et ceux qui croient les guérir sont les plus fous de la bande." - Voltaire

Ulrich Elkmann Online

20.09.2022 01:22
#2 RE: G. K. Chesterton, "Über öffentliche Aufbahrung" (1936) Antworten

Kleiner Nachtrag zu Chesterton und der "Illustrated London News." Chestertons wöchentliche Kolumne lief dort unter dem Titel "Our Note-Book". Die einzelnen Titel, unter dem die Beiträge heute geführt werden, stammen zumeist von den Herausgebern der Collected Works bei der Ignatius Press; in der Zeitschrift erschienen die Beitrgäge zumeist ohne eigene Betitelung. Zwischen dem ersten Beitrag vom 30. September 1905 über "Serious Things in Holiday Time" vom 30. September 1905 bis zum letzten vom 20. Juni 1936 über "Our English Prophets" erschienen genau 1533 Beiträge. (Einer der letzten war "On Ghost Stories" vom 30. Mai 1936.)

Zitat
“I CAN claim to be tolerably detached on the subject of ghost stories. I do not depend upon them in any way; not even in the sordid professional way, in which I have at some periods depended on murder stories. I do not much mind whether they are true or not. I am not, like a Spiritualist, a man whose religion may said to consist entirely of ghosts. But I am not like a Materialist, a man whose whole philosophy is exploded and blasted and blown to pieces by the most feeble and timid intrusion of the most thin and third-rate ghost. I am quite ready to believe that a number of ghosts were merely turnip ghosts, elaborately prepared to deceive the village idiot. But I am not at all certain that they succeeded even in that; and I suspect that their greatest successes were elsewhere. For it is my experience that the village idiot is very much less credulous than the town lunatic. On the other hand, when the merely skeptical school asks us to believe that every sort of ghost has been a turnip ghost, I think such skeptics rather exaggerate the variety and vivacity and theatrical talent of turnips.”

"Les hommes seront toujours fous; et ceux qui croient les guérir sont les plus fous de la bande." - Voltaire

Ulrich Elkmann Online

20.09.2022 18:50
#3 RE: G. K. Chesterton, "Über öffentliche Aufbahrung" (1936) Antworten

Auf CNN hat gestern abend Hilary Fordham, die die königliche Beisetzung kommentiert hat, Anchor Don Lemon elegant auflaufen lassen, als er von "Wiedergutmachungen für den Kolonialismus" aus dem Vermögen der Königsfamilie anfing.

Zitat
Lemon: Well, this is coming when ... all of this wealth, and you hear about it, comes as England is facing rising costs of living, a living crisis, austerity budget cuts, and so on. And then you have those who are asking for reparations for colonialism, and they're wondering, you know, $100 billion, $24 billion here and there, $500 million there. Some people want to be paid back and members of the public are wondering, why are we suffering when you have all of this vast wealth? Those are legitimate concerns.

Fordham: Well, I think you're right about reparations in terms of if people want it though. What they need to do is that you always need to go back to the beginning of a supply chain. Where was the beginning of the supply chain? That was in Africa, and it crossed the entire world when slavery was taking place. Which was the first nation in the world that abolished slavery? The first nation in the world to abolish it - it was started by William Wilberforce - was the British. In Great Britain, they abolished slavery. Two thousand Naval men died on the high seas trying to stop slavery. Why? Because the African kings were rounding up their own people, they had them in cages waiting in the beaches, no one was running into Africa to get them. And I think you’re totally right. If reparations needs to be paid, we need to go right back to the beginning of that supply chain and say, ‘who was rounding up their own people and having them handcuffed in cages?' Absolutely. That’s where they should start. And maybe, I don’t know, the descendants of those families where they died at the in the high seas trying to stop the slavery, that those families should receive something too I think at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBLNeCFl80

Nachschlag:

Zitat
Cernovich@Cernovich
- [descendants of slavery] make up 10 percent of Harvard’s Black population.
- 90% are from elite families, getting affirmative action but not descended from slaves.
Mind blowing, truly.
8:59 PM · Sep 20, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1572299511548215296

Zitat
Official statistics, however, remain somewhat outdated and obscure. Harvard does not collect data about the breakdown within racial groups — on official forms, there is no further differentiation after selecting the “Black or African American” option. A 2007 study in the American Journal of Education reported that 41 percent of Black first-year students attending Ivy League schools were immigrants or the children of immigrants; these groups compose 13 percent of the U.S. black population.

As a first-year, I once heard from a teaching fellow of the Introduction to African American Studies course that GAA students make up 10 percent of Harvard’s Black population. For the Class of 2022, that would mean roughly 17 students.

“Are we in the minority?” O’Sullivan asks. “And if so, does this make us feel like we don’t belong on campus? And how does that relate to social class?”

These questions are relevant beyond Harvard. David J. Deming, the director of the Malcolm Wiener Center for Social Policy at the Kennedy School, notes evidence that “non-generational African Americans, or non-descendants of enslaved people, tend to do better than those who are traditionally called Black,” with Nigerian immigrants known for faring especially well in terms of economic mobility. Ellora Derenoncourt, an assistant professor in economics at the Goldman School of Public Policy at the University of California, Berkeley, wrote in an email that research finds “upward mobility among immigrant families is higher [than it is] for children of US-born parents and this immigrant advantage effect holds for African Americans as well.”

While Black immigrant families and non-Black immigrant groups have similar trends of intergenerational mobility, Generational African Americans and Native Americans see much lower outcomes than immigrant groups of all backgrounds, including Black. “There is something about the history of a people and the way they were treated by society in the past that carries over to today’s society in ways that aren’t just captured by kind of a snapshot of economic characteristics,” Deming says.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2020/10/15/gaasa-scrut/

Sprung  

Bitte beachten Sie diese Forumsregeln: Beiträge, die persönliche Angriffe gegen andere Poster, Unhöflichkeiten oder vulgäre Ausdrücke enthalten, sind nicht erlaubt; ebensowenig Beiträge mit rassistischem, fremdenfeindlichem oder obszönem Inhalt und Äußerungen gegen den demokratischen Rechtsstaat sowie Beiträge, die gegen gesetzliche Bestimmungen verstoßen. Hierzu gehört auch das Verbot von Vollzitaten, wie es durch die aktuelle Rechtsprechung festgelegt ist. Erlaubt ist lediglich das Zitieren weniger Sätze oder kurzer Absätze aus einem durch Copyright geschützten Dokument; und dies nur dann, wenn diese Zitate in einen argumentativen Kontext eingebunden sind. Bilder und Texte dürfen nur hochgeladen werden, wenn sie copyrightfrei sind oder das Copyright bei dem Mitglied liegt, das sie hochlädt. Bitte geben Sie das bei dem hochgeladenen Bild oder Text an. Links können zu einzelnen Artikeln, Abbildungen oder Beiträgen gesetzt werden, aber nicht zur Homepage von Foren, Zeitschriften usw. Bei einem Verstoß wird der betreffende Beitrag gelöscht oder redigiert. Bei einem massiven oder bei wiederholtem Verstoß endet die Mitgliedschaft. Eigene Beiträge dürfen nachträglich in Bezug auf Tippfehler oder stilistisch überarbeitet, aber nicht in ihrer Substanz verändert oder gelöscht werden. Nachträgliche Zusätze, die über derartige orthographische oder stilistische Korrekturen hinausgehen, müssen durch "Edit", "Nachtrag" o.ä. gekennzeichnet werden. Ferner gehört das Einverständnis mit der hier dargelegten Datenschutzerklärung zu den Forumsregeln.

Xobor Xobor Forum Software
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen
Datenschutz